EGNATIA ODOS S.A. and METROPOLITAN DEVELOPMENT AGENCY OF THESSALONIKI S.A. (http://www.mitropolitikithessalonikisae.gr/) are searching for partners to form a partnership from: CYPRUS – FRANCE – GREECE – ITALY – MALTA -PORTUGAL – SLOVENIA – SPAIN – UNITED KINGDOM – ALBANIA – BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA – CROATIA – MONTENEGRO for submitting the following proposal (“THALASSA” URBAN MARITIME TRANSPORTATION PROJECT) to European Territorial Cooperation Programme “MED – MARITIME APPROACH”.
(Deadline for submitting 10/1/2014)
Estimated total budget: 400.000 Euros (120.000 for the L.P. and 80.000 per Partner)
For expressions of interest please contact
M.Sc. in ECONOMIC SCIENCES
MUNICIPALITY OF ADVISOR on E.U. development projects
OFFICER in the Hellenic Management Organization Unit
METROPOLITAN AGENCY OF THESSALONIKI – Member of the Managing Board.
CITY OF THESSALONIKI
Tel. 0030 2313 31 77 99
Email : email@example.com
“THALASSA” URBAN MARITIME TRANSPORTATION PROJECT
Number of Mediterranean cities faces significant challenges of urban and traffic saturation, (among others) because of the natural “barrier” of the sea, which does not favours the development of cyclic transport models (rings – actinic connections). For this reason the transformation of α “natural handicap” to α “transportation advantage” is possible through the use of the waterfront for launching urban transport.
The project: “THALASSA”: URBAN – MARITIME TRANSPORTATION PROJECT is addressing to cities (regional – local authorities and urban transport organizations), which are facing problems of urban mobility and they wishes to develop urban maritime transport systems and to integrate them in integrated multi modal urban transport planning.
The Urban Maritime Transportation, is a Public Transportation System, environmentally friendly, without the need for large and costly structures, which relieves the urban fabric of heavily loaded trips by private cars, which promotes the development of combined green transport and contribute to sustainable urban mobility policy for professional and social movements, while simultaneously contributing to the tourism carrying out capacity of the city.
THALASSA – THESSALONIKI – TRANSPORTATION
Thessaloniki as longitudinal seaside city, with about 1 million inhabitants, is the ideal case to develop maritime urban transportation systems. For this reason recently started designing an integrated system which will come to supplement the new urban and suburban transportation map of the city in a Metropolitan level. The proposed system for public maritime transportation extends in three municipalities of the coastal front of the city 12 kilometers in length.
With the construction – by EGNATIA ODOS S.A. and the operation – by a new Transport Organisation – of the urban maritime public transportation services, will address much of the traffic congestion problem especially in the city center, and expected large reduction of entry of cars. By reducing the traffic volume will relieve atmospheric pollution very overburdened and densely built city center.
The movements will become a new type of ship (e.g. catamaran or monohul) with an antipollution technology, capacity for about 200-250 passengers, maximum speed of 20-25 knots, at a frequency of 15 minutes, while the travel time estimated at 40 minutes on the route with stops at 20 minutes for express routes to the total distance.
The stations will be built in docks and will rely on system of piles. Platforms – boarding stations will be constructed enclosed building that will serve the needs of the traveling public. For planning the buildings was conducted an architectural ideas competition.
The specifications for the buildings had been set by the Ministry of Transport and Networks, impose bioclimatic building design and harmoniously with the environment, minimizing the carbon footprint during operation and autonomy in energy during operation.
The system of Urban Sea Transportation is going to connect the city center with other coastal municipalities of the Metropolitan Area of Thessaloniki. The new public transportation will serve the so-called lower zone of the city, which is not served by the Metro manufactured. The routes, shortening will become more economy, and will be of great benefit to the environment as it would reduce the fleet of cars entering at this time in the city center.
An important advantage of the system is the possibility of future extensions to new areas of the city or the Interconnection with sea transport networks connecting the city with other tourist destinations in regional scale.
The proposed project:
«”THALASSA” URBAN MARITIME TRANSPORTATION PROJECT» under the Programme MED – MARITIME APPROACH, provides the cooperation for – at least – 3 cities of the European Mediterranean:
The proposed activities are:
1. Exchange of expertise on institutional, legal, environmental and management issues arising from the development of sea urban transport.
2. Exchange of good practices in urban transport between cities of the Mediterranean and a study of the role of maritime transport in urban integrated urban transportation models.
3. Study in regards to the maritime organic urban transport as part of a sustainable urban mobility plans at city level.
4. Formulation plan development and interconnection of maritime urban transport in relation to the design of urban travel in metropolitan level.
5. Exploring – identifying indicators to measure economic, social and environmental impacts of urban maritime transportation.
6. Research on the development of systems to minimize energy consumption and zero emissions both in infrastructure and vessels by exploiting renewable energy sources (solar, wind, hydropower).
7. Formulation of a plan for infrastructure development subsidiary of soft traffic (cycle paths, pedestrian zones, etc.) to access the system of maritime urban transport.
8. Formulation of an adaptation program of infrastructure of maritime and urban transport interconnections for users with reduced mobility and develop innovative solutions to facilitate accessibility for people with reduced mobility.
9. Preparation of a new culture of urban mobility and encourage the use of marine transportation systems.
10. Preparation of a study improving urban planning, taking into account parameters related to transport (social inclusion, noise, safety, competitiveness, environment, tourism development).
11. Drafting project development activities to increase the tourist attractiveness of Mediterranean cities relies on sea urban transport.
12. Investigate cooperation models of public – private partnerships to promote investment in the maritime urban transport.
13. Preparation of a draft for the integration of maritime transport in urban tourism strategy of cities in terms of tourism service (e.g. combined transportation) in terms of tourism and pleasure (e.g. route viewing the city)
14. Study for the system interface with other sea transport networks connecting the city with other tourist destinations in regional scale.